Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Life with a two year old

So you are thinking and quickly doing the math, Stephen isn't two yet is he? No, he is 16 months. My friend Courtney and her son Carson who is two next month have been visiting for one week. What a busy week! We jammed as much of the greater Anchorage area into one week with two littles ones, as well as their normal high level of energy. Carson is a verbal little boy, but into everything (and I mean everything.) I thought my house was childproofed before they came, but I sure was wrong. I can easily distract and redirect Stephen without difficulty and most of the time he will not resume the activity. Carson is not like that, so many things have been rearranged in my home this week. I hope I can find everything when they leave.

It was a great week, especially weekend. For the first time since being in Anchorage, I went and saw some sights. (I was going to say sight-saw, but that sounded too southern and not right!) In the past two weeks I have been to the zoo, the wildlife conservatory, the portage glacier visitors center, alyeska resort, Alaska Native Heritage Center, eat out a couple of times, and hear all about the fun museums from Courtney. They were able to accomplish a lot on this trip and get the scoop for the rest of the guests.

Up next is Michelle (Matt's cousin) who will be here for 3-4 weeks helping out, relaxing, and taking a break from college. We are very excited to have her come up to spend some quality time with her and get to know her better.

I am exhausted after an extremely long weekend and staying up late and talking. Mother's Day was good and reminded me all the hard parts of being a mother. Plus, I was reminded of all the virtues God has given me to be a mother - patience, patience, patience. Okay, I guess that was only one, but there is also understanding of limitations (his and mine), love, caring, snuggling, good hugs, kisses, and most of all belief in him that gets me through every day.

Matt is doing well. He is definitely using his experience and treating sick patients. It is like being back on his trauma rotation in Ohio. He is working two day shifts, then two night shifts, then has a day off. There are three doctors in the rotation right now. Not sure if another one will come or not. He is settling in and received his first packages today. Packages arrived faster than letters. It is all relative now that prices have gone up!

Thank you for all the love and support from all of you while Matt is gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Even though we've never met this makes me feel that I know you a bit. I hope both you and Matt continue to do well. Keep telling us stories, great writing, what you write will be great memories. Praying for all of you in this trying time. Love, Caroline

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.