After Courtney left, I began my busiest week on call since I've been here. I don't think I saw less than 8 babies per day with at least 4 of them being brand new each day. Wow! Can't figure out what happened nine months ago - it was summer and silver salmon time. Fortunately, the weekend wasn't too bad which gave me time at home.
Michelle Mather (Matt's cousin) arrived on May 17 for a couple of weeks to help out, relax, explore, and take a break from being a college student. She has already been a great help. She has been able to get Stephen in the afternoons when I am running late, and endure being asked out for dates by our daycare provider's son. During the day she is taking time to see Anchorage, hike near our house, and relax and sleep in. I am so jealous! She went out and got a bear bell so when she hikes the bears can hear her. In fact she commented that everything can hear her, so she only got to see mosquitos on her hike. (Bears tend not to bother humans, and even more so if you make a lot of noise. But coming out of hibernation they can be a little more inquisitive.)
I have been searching for the cutest sight recently - a mama moose and her twin babies. I saw them on the way to the airport to pick up Michelle, but have not seen them since. I keep looking though because it was such an amazing sight to see such small moose. If I hadn't been on the way to the airport, I would have turned around to get my camera.
Stephen is doing well. We washed cars for the first time this weekend, and he had a blast playing with the bucket of soapy water. He tried to clean every rock in the yard in the process too. Michelle said he was making stone soup. He is starting to talk a lot more. His newest word is apple!
As I wait for Michelle to get up, I'm going to pick up around here. Then off to Anchorage for some fun this overcast afternoon!
1 comment:
Loved hearing about the moose, they are really intriging creatures. I have seen several children's books of actual pictures of moose who have moved into the neighborhood so to speak. One moose visited daily and just stayed in this family's yard day after day. They have awesome pictures in that book. I just sent out pictures of the hatching of hummingbirds. Ask Marjie to send the email to you, you seem to like nature and wildlife as much as I do. I would love to visit Alaska and some day we will. Right now we go no where since I have a dog with a benign liver tumor which is robbing him of life. We have been dealing with this for over two years and won't go anywhere until he dies. In the past 7 months he has changed dramaticly, loosing weight, muscle atropy is dramatic while his belly gets bigger. The tumor is palpable. Anyway, no trips until Luke is gone. On that note, I'll end. I do enjoy your notes of life's going's on. Thank you.
Caroline
Post a Comment