Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lightning

One of the things we are enjoying in Albuquerque is the variety of the weather.  Alaska didn't have a lot of variety in the weather.  Cool in the summer with rain, cold in the winter with snow.  We have experienced heat, cool mornings, heavy rain, lightning, thunder, and some awesome clouds.

A couple of weeks ago there was an amazing storm.  Many of the storms we have had have been short lived - 10-15 minutes.  This storm lasted for at least an hour, probably closer to 2 hours.  At the peak it was amazing.  We were able to get a few pictures. 

Thankfully the kids slept through the entire storm! 

2 comments:

Bob and Sandy Gold said...

Thunderstorms used scare the heck out of me when I was small! Now they scare me when I have to fly near them.

A little factoid that Stephen might find interesting, is that the thunder will travel at about a mile every 5 seconds, following the lightening.

So, after Stephen sees the lightening, have him start counting. If 5 seconds elapses before hearing thunder, the lightening was 1 mile away... If 10 seconds goes by, it was 2 miles, and so on...

Wherever we go there we are said...

Lauren! So awesome to see your comment on my blog! I am excited you guys are in NM! :O) I lived in ABQ when I was in middle school and loved it here! It's so pretty! I found you on FB, but there wasn't an option to add you as a friend? We'll have to figure this out! :O) Glad to hear you guys are doing well! Hugs, debi

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.