Saturday, June 27, 2009

Out of the mouth of my children

1. One word for me that transitions a baby to a toddler/child is "Mommy." They go from calling you "Mama" in the sweet baby voice, then next thing you know it is "Mommy." Eleanor called me mommy for the first time today! This was especially memorable because she has so few words and now two of her nine words are for me.

2. Eleanor is also picking up some new signs. We have done some basic signs and I wish I had more time right now to learn more signs to teach her to help her communicate. I have been working hard with her to use the sign for help. Tonight at bedtime, she couldn't reach her pacifier that was in her crib. (They stay in the crib and are only used for nap/bedtime.) She looked up at me and signed please and then help. I was so excited. Help is a sign she needs! A lot of her frustrations are over times she can't communicate when she needs help.

3. Stephen is a laugh factory for me. Tonight, he told me that he found a cake that I can get him for his 3 1/2 year birthday party. And then informed me it was only" fifty dollars." I asked him where he came up with fifty dollars. He told me that was a new word for him! Oh boy!

4. I was asked tonight by Stephen to take him potty before I went to bed. Then he informed me that he meant when I really go to bed, not when I pretend to go to bed! He figures us out so quickly then calls us out! I cannot lie to him at all anymore. I also am having a hard time spelling some words because he is figuring out those too!

5. Eleanor's new words this week were go, daisy, and no!

6. Stephen loves listening to music and we listened to Chris Rice's "Unnamed Hymn." This led to a long discussion about Jesus. This was a great opportunity for me to talk to him about Jesus and his love and sacrifice for us. All while explaining that we can't see God or Jesus. That was hard to explain to a 3 year old. After about a 5 minutes conversation, Stephen told me, "God and Jesus love us. They are with us when we are sad. Like when Daddy goes away." I almost cried. Not only did he understand, but took another step and was able to comprehend. I truly think understanding and comprehending are two totally different things.

7. A sweet voice startled me this morning as I took Stephen to the bathroom at 7:00 this morning. Eleanor said, "Mama." It was very quiet, but audible. Normally she wakes up crying until we come get her. I was able to get Stephen back down, but she was up! I was so happy, and tomorrow it will probably be "Mommy." My baby is gone!

No comments:

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.