Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Joy of Motherhood

All the new things that my children do everyday continues to amaze me, make me smile, and even frustrate me somedays. Here are some recent things that have happened in our home that are super memorable.

1. While watching a movie, there was a bra. Matt asked Stephen what it was. He paused, thought a minute, then stated, "that is a booby thing." We told him it was a bra. He said, "Yeah, the thing for boobies!"

2. Last month after a bath, I was getting Eleanor ready for bed. Stephen yelled from his room, "Watch this mommy!" He came in naked and said, "Watch me!" I was shocked when he started playing with himself. Then he said, "It is growing!" He would stop, and then start again. I was so shocked, and amused. This was the first time I have seen him realize what goes on down there.

3. Eleanor doesn't talk much. Stephen told me the other day that Eleanor says: mama, dada, nana, papa, baba (bear, brother, ball, book, bird, plane, etc.), and yucky. That pretty much sums it up. But last week, she added "baby!" She saw a birth announcement for a friend's little girl, picked it up, and handed it to Matt. Then she pointed to the picture and said, "baby." That is now a favorite word.

4. Both of the kids love playing outside. A favorite activity is playing with a "rocket" launcher. Eleanor is able to get the rockets in the launcher. The trick is getting them on before your sibling jumps on the launcher.

5. Reading books is the activity of choice while inside. If either Matt or I am sitting down, one of the kids runs up to us with a book. This is huge for me! Stephen has always been into books, but this is new for Eleanor. She will now sit still for 5-10 minutes depending upon the interest in the book. I am so thankful she has come to enjoy books.

6. Stephen routinely tells me (or Matt) that, "You are my best friend!"

7. Another favorite thing for Stephen to say is, "Or not!" If he doesn't want to do something (go outside, eat, go to bed, change activity, etc), he will come out with "or not" then tell us what he would like to do!

8. I know we have all said it at one point in time, mainly when we were younger, "When I grow up, I don't want to be like my parents." Well, the more I grow up the more I want to be like them. I realize the things they did for me, sacrifices they made, difficult discipline actions they made, and all the hugs I received were truly all for me. I hope one day my kids can look back and want to be like me and Matt!

9. The smile on my kids face definitely makes any trying times better!

1 comment:

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

I love this post. So many cute stories. Kids are hilarious!

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.