Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pacifier Wean - Day 1

The pacifier has been a source of guilt for me recently.  My daughter is over 2 years of age, but I can't seem to wean the comfort item.  I was so proud of my sister-in-law and brother-in-law when they weaned my niece's pacifier at 1 year.  I knew that I could do the same if ever in that situation, or not.  Stephen sucked his thumb.  I couldn't take that away from him.  Around the age of 3, he stopped on his own.  So I have been justifying in my mind that I am still ahead of the curve.

My attempt at weaning earlier this year did not go so well.  She wasn't ready and I definitely wasn't ready.  Well, I have realized that any time is not the right time.  Recently, Eleanor has had a nice rash around her mouth that is not getting better.  I have been slathering her face every night with a special concoction to no avail.  The only way this rash is going to go away is if the pacifier goes away.  So, it is time.  I have been prepping her for the past couple of days that the paci is going to have to go bye-bye.  She is kinda sad over it, but I keep bringing it up.  She knows that when the paci goes bye-bye that she will get "make-up."  After I listened to her cry for 30 minutes of crying at nap, I ran to the store and got some make-up.  That is really chapstick in a nice Dora lunchbox.  She spent the rest of the afternoon putting her make-up on.

I wish chapstick cures rashes!  Tonight the crying was only for 10 minutes.  Here's hoping that tomorrow will be better.  I have some more stash of treats to tide this process over!

3 comments:

Wherever we go there we are said...

Hi Lauren! That sounds so tough! Miles wasn't a pacifier kid so we didn't have to wean him, but Zane is so I'll be looking for all advice on this issue in a little while... I heard one lady say once she had her child collect all the pacifier to "give" them to "needy" babies who didn't have one and that helped her child not be so upset about having one... maybe that could help? We miss you guys! Hope you are having a great holiday season! hugs, debi

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

Lauren, This is a hard one. Elli gave hers up at 2 1/2 on her own thanfully. I had a hard time with it though because she was one step closer to being bigger. You can do it. Hang in there with her.

Drew, Carrie, Riley, and Aubrey said...

I feel your pain b/c Aubrey is a thumb-sucker. Even now at 2 1/2 her thumb nail is goofy looking and she has a red bump on her thumb. I've tried discussing it with her, but what am I thinking, she's 2! I guess she'll give it up when she's ready. :) Riley never had this issue with a pacifier or his thumb, so this is all new to me. Good luck!

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.