Sunday, January 11, 2009

Keeping a Straight Face

Matt and I (and Grandma) are having a hard time keeping a straight face in the house. Stephen is so full of honest and wonderful comments that he takes seriously. We find them hilarious! To validate him, we smile and nod, avoid eye contact with other adults, and try our hardest not to laugh.

Last night before Matt went to work, we told Stephen that daddy had to go to work to make money. Tonight, he asked Matt where he had to go. Matt told him he had to go to work. Stephen told Matt, "Tomorrow when you come home, I would prefer if you bring the money."

At dinner tonight, Matt asked Stephen if he enjoyed his steak. Stephen responded, "Absolutely!"

When eating cake with chocolate icing, Stephen was using his fork to scrape the plate. We couldn't figure out what was going on. So I asked him what he was wrong. He told me, "I can't get the chocolate." He was trying to get every last little bit of chocolate icing off the plate.

At the end of the evening, Stephen and I had a little talk about how he needs to treat Eleanor. We have been having sibling power struggles. I told him he needed to go tell Daddy what we talked about. He went up to Matt and held up one finger and said, "Can't knock her down." Then, held up two fingers and said, "Can't take things from her." The use of fingers was awesome!

This was just one night. It is so great to see the thought processes and then verbalization of everything. If I can figure out how to up load video to the blog, we have the greatest video of him singing ABBA.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the finger thing! It's so great when they get to the age where you can see their mind figuring things out.

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

I love these stories. Thank you for sharing how cute Stephen is!

Moose Head Truth said...

I love the comments from your little Stephen. How adorable. It is great to keep up with you guys and I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.
Love Kate

John / Debby Laurie said...

Someone teach Stephen how to lick a plate that has chocolate on it, please! :)

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.