Sunday, April 6, 2008

My to-do

I sit here tonight thinking of all the productive things I could be doing: folding laundry, planning our trip next week, thank you notes for Eleanor's gifts. Yes, I am way behind on everything, especially the thank you notes. (Sorry!) I feel like my list of to-do's mounts and the list of "dones" grows shorter. Then I remember what "dones" have been accomplished, the ones that matter in life. The practical to-do's will always be there tomorrow to become "dones."

Case in point, I sit here with the laundry in front of me. The same stack that has been there for one week and on the list for two weekends. (No wonder we have so many clothes!!) I am doing something far more important than anything on my to-do list: holding my little girl who will be six months this week. I smile and cry when I think about how much she has grown in that time, the joy she brings into our life, and the desperate need for me that she has right now. She is a cuddle bug, with me! She loves me and if I am around must be near me (not daddy.) This makes me smile so much, especially my heart. I am not accomplishing laundry right now because she needs me. I will not always have that, and have learned to cherish this time (although not worldly accomplishing.)

I have recently been blessed by God to realize the important to-do's in life. The ones that at the end of the day, I can be happy I accomplished: snuggling with Stephen at bedtime when he asks me to (he is not a cuddle bug,) playing with the kids at the end of the day even if we eat hot dogs and mac n' cheese, spending good time with my husband, cherishing the time with my family. It has taken me years to get to this point. Sometimes it is easier to say no to my family and get what is on the list accomplished, than yes and do what they want. That has been the hardest, but most rewarding part. Taking time to remember the important things in my day is what is a memory in one year, not that I vacuumed the floor. I was the one with a to-do list every morning. Now, I remember what is necessary to get by and enjoy life as it comes. I am thankful for this freedom, although less organized. (Don't get me wrong, the house is still clean and we do wear clean clothes. More division of labor, a housekeeper, and a toddler that helps keeps us put together.)

2 comments:

Jen Luminati said...

You are so right! Sometimes I feel we just learn the wrong things--or let society dictate what we should value--instead of really striving to value what the Lord wants us to. Case in point, spending time with your little one, not spending time with the laundry. Sure, it does need to be done, but as the Bible says, there is a time for everything! Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Very well said! You are so right, but it is a constant challenge to get to (and stay) at that realization of what is truly worth our time, and what can wait. Thanks for the reminder for me today!

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.