Friday, May 15, 2009

A first . . .

This is the first Friday Five. I have never done one before, but a few wonderful things today that needed to be shared.

1. After putting the kids to bed tonight, I came downstairs to see a beautiful sunshine. Then I walked into our kitchen and it was raining outside. Half of the house was in the sunshine and half was in the rain with sunshine all around. I am convinced a rainbow ended over our house!

2. At bed time tonight, we talked about Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden. I told Stephen the story about Eve eating an apple from the tree.
Stephen: Why does an apple grow from a tree?
Me: A lot of fruit grows from trees like apples, pears, oranges, avacados . . .
S: (interrupting) They don't grow from trees. We get them at the store.
Me: They grow on trees, then we buy them from the store so we can eat them. (The I listed lots of other things that grow on trees - more fruit, nuts, etc.)
S: What else can we get on trees?
Me: Bananas, coconuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans.
S: And donuts!
Hilarious! Donuts on trees. Not sure if he got the point of the whole story, but now we know that donuts don't grow on trees.

3. Our friend Mr. Black Bear is back from last year. And he remembers - exactly where to get trash. I saw him this AM and he is huge. Unfortunately, he was eating trash from a neighbors trash bin. I am sad because he will either be moved from his home or go to bear heaven.

4. So thankful for our friends near and far. Matt is spending the weekend in Ohio with some of the dearest friends I (now we) have. He will hopefully be able to see our friends from Dayton, too. Another dear friend e-mailed me today out of the blue to see how I was doing. She has no idea what is going on in my life, but I needed her e-mail. The kids and I were able to go out to dinner with our dearest friends in AK. God truly has richly blessed us with wonderful and strong friends!

5. Both kids have had some difficulties with Matt being gone for pre-deployment training. Eleanor is young enough she can't verbalize it, but I definitely know. Stephen has a difficult time and it is easy to tell. He is actually snuggled up in my lap right now sleeping because he was crying. He told me he was sad and "Missed my Daddy" while balling his eyes out. Poor kid. Today he and I went to see a counselor. Off course things have been great until tonight. The appointment reassured me that this is all normal and that I am handling it well, even though I am at a loss at times. Here is a picture of Stephen from the phone as he fell asleep in the car on the way home. He was awake for singing John Denver "Leaving on a Jet Plane," then Pat Benotar came on - and he was out! So peaceful!


3 comments:

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

Matt in Ohio? Can we see him? When and where?
I am proud of you for handling the situations at home with your little ones. It must be hard. I will be praying for you.
Thank you for your cards. Very cute!
Hang in there. Come for a visit if you need to:)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your kids are having a hard time with the pre-deployment stuff. My kids have gone through the same thing with James in Iraq. It always takes me by surprise when they say something about him being gone or have a melt-down but we just take them one at a time. Joanna had a melt-down while she was on the phone with James a couple of weeks ago and it upset him so much. Fortunately Bethany's melt-downs have just been with me. I hope things get better. Take one day at a time and find help if you need it.

Unknown said...

Dearest Lauren,

Sharing your beloved Matt for nearly a day was such a wonderful joy for us! He blended right into our family just like you used to! Although, he can move mulch much better than you ever could!! And, his appetite surpasses yours by a longshot!! Know our love is with you!! Always!!

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.