I am working on getting the blog updated and cleaned up. I have a bunch of posts done, or almost done and haven't published them! So here, we go. . .
Stephen's class had a field trip to the Ft. Richardson field trip at the end of April 2010. Both mom and dad were able to go with him. Stephen also invited Eleanor. I met them at the hatchery from work, about 3 minutes away. What a blessing for me to switch some time around to go!
A hatchery worker gave the kids a very interactive talk! He described the life cycle of the salmon from egg to returning to their home to spawn. He had props, used the kids, interacted with the kids, and made everyone laugh. This was the best salmon presentation I have ever seen.
Then off to see the pools of fish in different stages of life. We started outside looking at the arctic char and salmon. Then we moved inside where there were big tanks for the little, little fish. The kids got to see the salmon being fed. All the little fish darting around was so cool. The big tanks with the windows were great to see the fish all swimming together.
The final stop was at the "touching" room. Salmon were pulled out one at a time and a couple of kids would get to touch the fish. About 25 kids/toddlers trying to stay in line, pushing, wandering all waiting to get their little hands around a salmon. They actually all did really well. Then they got to touch the little salmon that had hatched in the past couple of days.
So much fun to experience a field trip as a family. After the hatchery, we all headed to the local park for a picnic and playing. The best field trip I have been on so far!!
No comments:
Post a Comment