Saturday, August 20, 2011

First Day of School

This week was a big week in our house. On August 18th, Stephen started Kindergarten. The same day Eleanor started Preschool. We found a wonderful Montessori school for them to attend with before and after school care.

Stephen was so excited the first morning of school. He woke up earlier than normal. Told us he needed to get dressed and was ready before we knew it. Eleanor was also very excited, but thankfully slept in a little bit before her big adventure.

The kids before their big day!
(Eleanor wanted to take her baby in the car, but said she wouldn't take her into school.)

Stephen all ready to start school

Eleanor all ready to start school

Walking into school. Both kids are all smiles. I actually had to have Stephen wait just to get the picture. He was so eager.

The true picture, Stephen ready to go. Eleanor tentative about the day. Not quite all smiles when we arrived at school.

We drop the kids off before school and they play in a classroom, then walk over to the main school building. Stephen walked into his classroom after hanging his backpack up. Then off he went. After a couple of seconds, he popped his head back out, "Oh, bye! Have a good day!" Then off again. Eleanor was more clingy and didn't want to let go. The teachers were great and so was she. In less than 2 minutes she was seated at the table reading with the other kids. This sad mommy got one last picture.

The kids and I survived their first day of school. We talked on the way home and even made a special stop for a treat. Here were some of the highlights of the day:
Stephen -
Favorite thing: I liked everything!
New friend: Nolan
Teacher: Ms. Robin
Reading: Orange bin (it is after blue and yellow. He still has red to go, then the silent E's.)
New bird in class: Tweety Pie (Still don't know if it is a boy or girl. If it was a boy, Stephen wanted to name it Luke. A girl - Leah.)
Goldfish in class: Cricket and ? (I don't remember mom.)
Before school activity: reading books
After school activity: playing in the sand box - pretending to cook with the sand
Snack: first snack (morning) - crackers, cheese, snap peas, milk
second snack (afternoon) - peas, more cheese, more crackers, milk
Lunch: I liked my lunch.(PB & nutella, veggie straw chips, string cheese, Kraft cheese, peaches)
Treat at the end of the day: Can of Dr. Pepper
Favorite school activity: I liked doing the 100 board.
Favorite classroom toy: Hammer toy (wooden)
Coolest classroom pet: Tarantula

Eleanor - (difficult to get her to talk at first, then she really opened up!)
Favorite thing: eating yogurt
New Friend: Nina
Teacher: Ms. Beth
Snack: first snack - vanilla yogurt, granola bars, water, milk - but I only at a granola bar
second snack - "the same mom" - but I only at the yougurt
Before school activity: reading books and stuff - the green girl with the green shirt read to me
After school activity: playing in the sand and inside
Favorite activity: playing games
Lunch: Yeah. I liked my lunch. (PB & nutella, veggie straw chips, string cheese, Kraft cheese, peaches)
Treat at the end of the day: Sonic strawberry slushies at the end of the day
Favorite school activity: Ms. Beth helped me find the games I wanted to play
Favorite classroom pet: fish or chameleon (or something) at my class

5 comments:

den & marjie said...

Awesome report from everyone! Almost felt like I was there.
xo, grandma

Brent said...

So sweet to hear what they say about their school day! Eleanor looks so big! She has changed a little in her looks. What a cutie:)

Bob and Sandy Gold said...

Great story and pics! Hugs to all!!!

John / Debby Laurie said...

Oh The Places These Wolf Cubs Will Go....and this is just the beginning. Great synopsis Mama Wolf. Nice fatigues, Papa Wolf

Jen Luminati said...

Hurray for the new school year! I can't believe they're so big.

Thank you for visiting our website! May you have a blessed day.