Before I start, sorry for the lack of posts. Almost two months, I am aghast. I have about 10 blogs done, but have not had time to add pictures to them. So check back in a few days and we will be up to date!
Matt recently had the opportunity to go on a fishing charter to Seward, AK. The YMCA hosted 200 men and women who served in Iraq and Afghanistan last year in a fishing derby. (For those of you new to the term applied mainly to horses, it is a competition to see who can catch the biggest fish. I was unfamiliar with the term prior to moving to AK.) The grand prize was a truck or $15,000. I told Matt that he would make the blog in his own post if he won the derby, but only that. Alas, that didn't happen, but he still deserves a post.
He left our house at 0140 on Thursday AM to meet a bus at 0200 that took him to Seward with everyone. Then they boarded boats. The fishing fleet in Seward donated their time and boats for these men and women. Matt was on a boat called The Perserverance. There are no pictures of Matt with his catch two because he was too sea sick to pose. He did catch two 20 lb halibut. (Yummy! I can't wait to eat them!) After a day of fishing, the fish were cleaned and package for him. There was a banquet for them, videos of thanks from Governor of AK (Sarah Palin), Senators, the Vice Chief of Staff, and others. Then back on the buses for a trip back to Anchorage. He also won a door prize of a jet boat tour to the Knik glacier. If any of you follow Amazing Race it is with the same company that provided that tour in the season finale last year.
He is getting his "own post" because he made the Anchorage Daily News. Check him out! His three paragraphs begin at paragraph thirteen (not that I am counting or bragging!) I totally appreciate his service, sacrifice to our family and our country. Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment